Producers of “miracle medicine” claim that it is enough to take certain drugs to be watchful as a hawk and to forget about eye disease. In this magical results are achieved marvelously simple means, such as through vitamins, improves blood circulation. Alas, the blood supply – this is not all. And his eyes – just the tip of the iceberg called “healthy vision.” How well we see it depends on the state of the whole body, especially the brain. In addition, visual impairment in older adults is often associated with the development of various diseases (diabetes, atherosclerosis, hypertension, disorders of the nervous system, and others.).
What affects Everyone?
- Doctors are sounding the alarm: the school receives 4% of children with visual impairments, and completes over 40%. Among students myopic about 50%. And when you consider that after 40 years the majority of people to read and write, already need glasses, it will not be long when these or other visual impairments will be covered 100% of the population. The risk of any impairment (even small) is that over time, they can lead to serious consequences. For example, progressive myopia gradually leads to irreversible changes in the central parts of the retina, and 6 diopters of myopia and glaucoma may portend more and retinal detachment.
- Currently it suffers from glaucoma 1.5% of the population, and cataracts, clouding of the lens occurs in 7% of USA population. And wherein the treatment of cataract, glaucoma and in most cases, require surgical intervention.
Visible in the root:
- Have you ever thought about what your eyes look, but sees the brain. The eye only transmits light signals. The retina converts them into nerve impulses, and then the information through the optic nerve enters the occipital lobes of the cerebral cortex. It was here that in our minds there is a picture that we see. Thus, our “true eye” is in traumatic brain centers responsible for vision. Therefore, the state of health of the brain depends on the quality of his nervous and mental activity. By the way, doctors believe that tension and stress provoke visual impairment (particularly due to spasms of the eye muscles and blood vessels).
Oxygen means all for eyes!
- But the main problems are related to the vascular system that nourishes the cerebral cortex. Imagine the weight of the brain – less than 5% of body weight, but consumes 20% of the oxygen it needed throughout the body. That is, for supply to the brain from vascular system requires constant hard work. And we, overloading vision, neglect physical activity coaching vessels. Weak cardiovascular system can not cope with their responsibilities, causing oxygen deprivation (hypoxia) in the brain. The result is sad: the disruption of the neural network responsible for the transmission of information. A failure in the transfer of information – a problem not only to view, but also hearing and memory. Cerebral hypoxia aggravates atherosclerosis, in which narrow the lumen of blood vessels growing on the walls of cholesterol plaques. In addition, the narrowing of the blood vessels leading to increased blood pressure jumps which also affect the visual apparatus, causing a “fly in the eyes.”
- But the chain of the factors underlying the impairment does not end. One of the main reasons for the development of atherosclerosis – the wrong metabolism. In case of violation of lipid metabolism (lipids – fats) in the blood increases the cholesterol content of which form plaques on the walls of blood vessels. To metabolic disorders and diabetes is directly related to the development of serious eye diseases – cataract. And with cervical osteochondrosis may experience blurred vision and rainbow circles before my eyes. So that is the basis of the quality of health of the whole organism.
What to do?
- Eat good food. The most important for vision is vitamin A. The main suppliers – carrots, tomatoes, leafy vegetables or fish oil. B vitamins – thiamin, riboflavin and pyridoxine influence the centers of the brain responsible for perception of visual sensations, and retinal cells. Eat nuts, liver, fish. With a shortage of vitamin C affects the muscles that control eye movements, as well as the muscles that change the state of the lens. Askorbinku found in rose hips, citrus fruits, onions, tomatoes, spinach and apples. Potassium, which provides a supply of oxygen to the blood vessels eye present in honey, bananas, baked potatoes, and a vegetable oil.
- Fight the enemies of view. It – smoking, sun, lack of sleep, dehydration.
- Learn how to remove eye strain. There is a simple exercise. We need to sit in a chair, close your eyes, cover their hands so that the middle of the right hand was in front of the right eye and the left – before the left. Take a comfortable position and do not press on the eye. Calm and even breathing. If you do this exercise two or three times a day for ten or fifteen minutes, you will notice a significant improvement in vision.
- Regularly visit an ophthalmologist.
- Keep physically active at any age.