Nocturia – a condition in which part of the nocturnal diuresis prevails steadily over the day. In other words – it is dysuria, where most of the daily urine is released at night. Normally nocturnal diuresis by 40% less than the day.
This state is considered to be the physiological norm not only in children older than two years, and all other cases should be regarded as pathological.
Causes of nocturnal diuresis:
The main reason for such nocturia are kidney and bladder, as:
- interstitial nephritis
- acute and chronic glomerulonephritis
- chronic pyelonephritis
Nocturia may also occur due to inhibition of the concentration ability of the kidneys due to various pathological processes, including diabetes insipidus.
One of the important reasons are considered diseases of the cardiovascular system. In heart failure, improving nocturnal urine occurs due to elimination of consequences of daytime oliguria (decreased urine output), in which the worsening of renal blood flow. At night, set the water-salt balance. However, this condition is not stable, and the further development of congestive heart failure can cause edema formation.
Nocturia may be a consequence of decrease of edema, in particular in the treatment of nephrotic syndrome.
For older people increased nocturnal urine can be a sign of renal artery atherosclerosis.
Diagnosis of the disease:
- If background nocturia experienced higher daily urine, occurs combination dizuricheskih disorders (polyuria and nocturia). This specialist can be suspected renal insufficiency.
- At the slightest manifestations of pain in the kidneys should not delay a visit to the urologist or nephrologist. After a thorough examination and a full set of laboratory diagnostic tests, as well as ultrasound and tomographic analysis kidney specialist will establish the diagnosis of disease and prescribe quality professional treatment.
- In urological practice, there are concepts such as pollakiuria (frequent urination), and urinary incontinence, which is characteristic for the elderly men suffering from BPH, as well as patients with urethral stricture. These manifestations are nothing to improve the appearance of nocturnal diuresis are not.
- The main diagnostic method for detection of nocturia is a urine sample for Zemnitsky. This method involves measuring the amount of day, night and daily diuresis. Every 3 hours during the day the patient urinates into a separate container, and then investigated the concentration ability of the kidneys and the change of the daily volume of urine.
- If the symptom is increased urination night disappears against the background of pronounced signs of cardiovascular disease, it is possible to judge the progression of the disease.
Treatment and prevention of disease:
For the effective therapy specialist, it is first necessary to find out the true cause of this symptom, in order to provide competent treatment.
Patients suffering from nocturia, it is recommended:
- Limit fluid intake in the evening.
- Supper should be no later than 1 – 2 hours before bedtime, and even earlier.
- Not recommended for dinner intake of fruits and vegetables rich liquid.
- It is not recommended to drink water at night.
For a full sleep is necessary to comply with a rule – less is better. The less will be filled with the stomach, it will be easier night’s sleep.